Dress up, gear up and arm up as your favourite character from any anime, manga or video game! Play out your role and stand a chance to win fabulous prizes! Come as a group, or go solo and conquer the stage!
Cosplay (コスプレ kosupure?), short for "costume play", is an activity in which participants wear costumes and accessories to represent a specific character or idea from a work of fiction. Cosplayers often interact to create a subculture centered on role play. A broader use of the term cosplay applies to any costumed role play in venues apart from the stage, regardless of the cultural context.
Favorite sources include manga, anime, comic books, video games, and films. Any entity from the real or virtual world that lends itself to dramatic interpretation may be taken up as a subject. Inanimate objects are given anthropomorphic forms and it is not unusual to see genders switched, with women playing male roles and vice versa. There is also a subset of cosplay culture centered on sex appeal, with cosplayers specifically choosing characters that are known for their attractiveness and/or revealing costumes.
The Internet has enabled many cosplayers to create social networks and websites centered around cosplay activities, while forums allow cosplayers to share stories, photographs, news, and general information. The rapid growth in the number of people cosplaying as a hobby since 1990 has made the phenomenon a significant aspect of popular culture. This is particularly the case in Asia, where cosplay influences Japanese street fashion.
(Source: Wikipedia - Cosplay)
Online registration form is up! Please click the link below to register today!
Registrations are over!
Cosplayers are allowed to cosplay any character from the following genre:
- Western Superheroes
Step 1: Complete ALL details in the registration form online together with a picture of your character. You can upload your photo to any file-sharing sites (e.g.: photobucket, dropbox, skydrive or google drive) and do include the link in the form. The HobbyCon Committee will then download the file. Deadline of online registration is on the 30th November 2013, 5pm.
Step 2: Please collect your competition tag at the Hobbycon Registration booth on the day of the competition before 12pm. Any late registration will not be entertained.
Step 3: Please bring your cosplay competition Audio (background music) in .mp3 format on the day of the competition and submit it to the audio man after you collect your tag.
Step 4: Be at the stage area 30 minutes before the competition starts.
Registration booth will still be available on both days of HobbyCon for last minute registration and will be close at 1pm. Late comers will need to print their own cosplay character image (4 x Copies in COLOUR), Cosplay character brief information to assist the Emcee/Organiser/Judges (4 x Copies), Your Round and & 2 Skit description (4 x Copies), as well as your background music.
That being said, the committee would like to encourage all cosplayers who are interested to register earlier before the day of the event to ensure that the competition will run smoothly on the day itself. Organisers will not be responsible for any technical difficulties. So register early to save you from all the hassle :)
Personality (20 points): i.e. character’s signature move/style/pose/personality/simple skit.
Costumes / Props (20 points): Workmanship i.e. how faithful the costumes are to the original Character (applys for both INDIVIDUALS AND GROUPS categories).
Faithfulness to story (10 points): How faithful is the performance to the story of the original work and characters, and is the cosplayer in character.
Round 2 (*points will be carried forward from the preliminary round)
Skit Performance (30 points): In Relation to the production of performance, creativity of elements and entertainment.
- 10 points for concept /creativity of the skit
- 5 points for preparation
- 5 points for acting/dancing skills/personality
- 10 points for entertainment
Faithfulness to story (20 points): How faithful is the performance to the story of the original work and characters, and is the cosplayer in character (ALL categories).
- 15 points for being “in character” (for both INDIVIDUALS AND GROUPS categories)
- 5 points for having a skit faithful to the story.
1. This competition is open to ALL who are interested regardless of age, gender, nationality and so on and so forth. In short, all are welcome to participate.
2. Participants below the age of 12 MUST have their parents consent before registering for the competition. When registering, the HobbyCon Committee will automatically assume that consent has been given to the child by the parent. The HobbyCon Committee will not be held liable for any mishap that might occur.
3. Materials such as props, makeup, costumes and audio are to be prepared by the cosplayers themselves. All cosplayers are responsible for their own property; The HobbyCon Committee holds no responsibility towards any damages or losses during the event.
4. For safety reasons, no explosives / radioactive / reactive / corrosive / flammable / volatile / toxic substances are allowed. In addition to that, all dangerous weapons or any other props that may bring harm to others are firmly forbidden. On stage, (non-firing) toy weapons will be allowed without any doubt but do bear in mind that any real weapon will result in immediate disqualification.
5. Performances that might endanger the cosplayer or the public are not allowed.
6. Acts that include confetti, fireworks, flash paper, small messy objects or other forms of pyrotechnic and water are also strictly banned. In addition, no food and/or animal are allowed on stage. This is to ensure a clean and hassle-free program flow. In a nutshell, what goes on stage comes down with you.
7. Participants are required to dress and act decently. Revealing clothes, nudity and/or vulgar actions are strictly prohibited inside the venue where the competition is being held.
8. The HobbyCon Committee reserves the right to change the rules and regulations without prior notice.
9. The judges’ decision is final. No appeals would be entertained.
10. For further inquiries about cosplaying, please send your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org
First Prize - RM 500 + Trophy
Second Prize - RM 300 + Trophy
Third Prize - RM 150 + Trophy
First Prize - RM 1000 + Trophy
Second Prize - RM 700 + Trophy
Third Prize - RM 500 + Trophy
Registrations are over!
© Copyright 2013 Hobbycon.my. All rights reserved.